Sunday 19 April 2009

Христос воскрес!

Воскресение Твое Христе Спасе

(I like the second half most of all)

I did not wake up with a holiday feeling. But then I decided to make my kulich anyway and slowly but surely I came in that special Easter mood. A day when you exchange Easter breads and painted eggs with your neighbours and family. A day when you eat nothing but Easter bread and eggs. And nowadays it's also a day when you hear church bells all over the city. Did you know that in the beginning of twentieth century Kiev had 1500 churches? If they continue building them as fast as they did in the past five years, they will soon catch up.

Anyway. Here's my kulich. I made it using this recipe, but used only one third of ingredients. It's been a while since I made a kulich and I was not sure I would succeed. So I decided to count on myself and maybe Jeroen (if he manages to finish his paper in time for a tea tonight). No kulich for the neighbours this year.

And did I tell you I was very good at decorating eggs? Look at them, aren't they gorgeous? ;)

My kulich turned out to be just the way it's supposed to be, so next year I will bake several of them on Saturday so I can surprise my Muslim neighbours. :)

Trivia: I was baptized at the age of 15.

3 comments:

Search This Blog