Tuesday 23 June 2009

Odessa

Odessa (אדעס) is the fourth largest city in Ukraine with a population of over 1,000,000. Odessa considerably lost in status in the past century: in the 19th century it was the fourth largest city of Imperial Russia, after Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and Warsaw. You have to agree – being the fourth largest city of Imperial Russia is much cooler than being the fourth largest city of Ukraine. Odessa used to be larger than Kiev! I also think being the third largest city in Imperial Russia is a much better deal than being the first city of Poland. Oops, have I just said that?!

The sun seems to have arrived to the Netherlands to stay for a while. I am going to the beach tomorrow and I will take sunscreen with me. My shoulders haven’t peeled (yet), but they did hurt quite badly last Friday, so no more burns!

Here’s one more musical discovery I have made in Kiev:

Kosheen - Wish You Were Here

Although it’s rather I Wish I Were There…Distance isn’t good for me…

Trivia: I’ve been to Odessa only once for one day on December 25th 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog