Monday 14 June 2010

Donor

"My name is Kathy H. I'm thirty-one years old, and I've been a carer now for over eleven years. [...] My donors have always tended to do much better than expected. Their recovery times have been impressive, and hardly any of them have been classified as 'agitated', even before fourth donation."

"Maybe from as early as when you're five or six, there's been a whisper going at the back of your head, saying: 'One day, maybe not so long from now, you'll get to know how it feels.' So you're waiting, even if you don't quite know it, waiting for the moment when you realise that you really are different to them; that there are people out there, like Madame, who don't hate you or wish you any harm, but who nevertheless shudder at the very thought of you - of how you were brought into this world an why - and who dread the idea of your hand brushing against theirs."

It's long ago I've read something quite as 'disturbing' as the book I'm reading now: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog