Friday 26 February 2010

Nutcracker

Wednesday evening I had my salsa lady styling lesson. Usually we do a lot of complicated dance moves and I totally suck at it. It's very frustrating and I keep on attending the lessons because I know I can learn a lot, but pleasure is not one of the reasons I go there. Yesterday was a little less painful, though. Our teacher decided to give us some theory which means we had less time for complicated dancing. She let us hear different salsa tracks and asked what kind of movement would be appropriate in each case. One of the tracks was very surprising. For a moment I thought I heard the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from the Nutcracker, but of course it was a salsa. I asked who was the artist and she showed me the picture of the album - Classic Meets Cuba. Some moments later I realised I wasn't mistaken, it was indeed the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy! Today I took the time to search around and find out it's a composition from the Classic Meets Cuba CD by Klazz Brothers & Cuba Percussion. Anyway, at that moment I said: "I'm not sure I would be able to dance salsa to this music. Whenever I hear the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy I feel like dancing her dance." And you know what? Most women in the group had no idea of what I was talking about! They didn't know who the Sugar Plum Fairy was and even when I said she was a character from the Nutcracker, they still stared at me blankly as if I were trying to explain how they can build queries in BusinessOne.

Whenever I find myself in a situation like that I start wondering how people manage to live their lives without having such basic experiences. Apparently Nut Cracker is not that basic...

I haven't managed to find the Cuban Sugar composition online, so here the Cuban Dance (based on the Hungarian Dance 5 by Brahms), just to give you an idea:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog