Tuesday 23 February 2010

Luxury

The Dutch government collapsed Saturday over whether to extend the country's military mission in Afghanistan. The government collapsed and I found out about it full 24 hours after it happened. I don't watch TV and don't check the news sites frequently. Besides, Saturday evening and Sunday morning I had other things on my mind. Bu still I am amazed it's possible to live a day without noticing that your country doesn't have a government.

I don't think I would have managed to keep up this blissful unawareness for such a long time if I lived in Ukraine. My mother would have called me first thing in the morning. A neighbour would pop in to borrow a couple of eggs and discuss current political situation. Several friends would call or text. I would have overheard some conversations on the streets, in a shop or a tram.

I do realise it's important to stay informed even if just for the sake of being able to make a choice during the next elections. But I also realise how luxurious life in the Netherlands is if we can live for days without talking about the collapsed government every fifteen minutes. I love this country.

Ukraine right after the elections: Pension funds appear to be empty. My mother cannot receive her money for several days in a row now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog