Sunday 10 January 2010

Chemistry

There we sat, finally face to face after weeks of emails with hints, hidden and implicit signs of mutual attraction.

I meet so many men at work. Business networking events consist mainly of men. I do what everyone does: shake hands, introduce myself, tell my story, listen to theirs, hand over my business card, make sure to get theirs. I meet very different people this way. Some have a nice way of presenting their company, some are funny, some have an interesting business and some simply appear to be very useful contacts. This man was memorable not because of his business (which IS interesting) or the way he presented it. It was the chemistry between us. We talked about his studies and work and business around us, but we both felt the connection and enjoyed the conversation. We could have talked about the weather for forty minutes and probably would have enjoyed the conversation just as much.

I've read each of his messages several times looking for hints and enjoying hidden signs. The more we wrote to each other, the more openhearted the questions and the answers became. Business moved to the bottom of the message becoming a weak excuse for writing until it disappeared at last.

Maybe it was the wrong place: too much light, tables too big creating too much distance, a group of old men playing cards. Maybe the time was wrong, maybe we decided to meet too soon. The tension and the excitement that we have built in our e-mail 'conversations' were nowhere near. I hoped we would pick it up on the way moving slowly to more intimate subjects. But that didn't happen. We've spent hours talking, but IT just wasn't there...

Finally I rushed to catch my train. Three kisses, next time you're around, maybe, who knows...

Strange thing, this chemistry...

I was walking home from the station when my phone rang. Another man. He: "Hi, I missed you!" Me:"Good!"

1 comment:

  1. nice story. You should be a writer, dear Sasha...

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog