Saturday 24 October 2009

Shabbat

Shabbat is the seventh day of the Jewish week and a day of rest in Judaism. Shabbat is observed from sundown Friday until the appearance of three stars in the sky on Saturday night. Traditionally, on that day three festive meals are eaten, one of which on Shabbat-eve. It’s considered a festive day, when a person is freed from the regular labours of everyday life, can contemplate the spiritual aspects of life, and can spend time with family. The family consists of a young woman, a cat and tonight also a friend and a friend of that friend (being me). The cat, Oedipus (but female), comes from Israel. The hostess was born and raised in the Netherlands, but all her family lives in Israel. Her friend is Dutch introduced to Judaism by a twist of fate. She sticks to it. The friend of the friend (me) has Jewish father and some family (yes, including Vovka) in Israel, but doesn’t practice Judaism in any way.

So the three of us celebrated Shabbat tonight: listened to the recitation of Kiddush, drinking kosher wine, eating challah from the Turkish shop around the corner and having a meal consisting of kosher products from the bio supermarket at the city centre.

“I was born and raised here, but me and the Netherlands just don’t click together.” “I have only two Dutch friends. But they don’t feel Dutch to me, they are different.” “Israel is not my country. It’s not finished somehow...” It’s a precious experience to be welcome in someone’s house like that. And to be able to discuss Judaism in relation to myself in such a Jewish yet open-minded setting.

After the dinner all three of us headed for the salsa party at our dance school. :) I danced four hours non-stop. My body is still full of adrenaline.

My new music discovery, thanks to Thom Arisman. He has a very interesting music list I need to explore more.

Rouge Rouge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog