Wednesday 7 October 2009

Reference

I was cleaning my front yard when a neighbour girl “joined” me.
“From what country are you?”
“Ukraine. Do you know where it is?”
“Yes…” The girl didn’t sound very convincing, though.
“Do you know where Poland is?”
“Yes. And Ukraine is before it.”
“Ukraine lies between Poland and Russia.”
“Ah, I know! It’s the same as Turkey, but then a little higher.”
“Exactly! It’s on the other side of the Black Sea.”
“How long is it flying?”
“Something like three or three-and-a-half hours.”
“The same as Turkey!”

It’s funny how we use things that are important to us as a reference point for all other things in life.

It’s been raining the whole day. I was lucky to get out to the Russian shops and to the supermarket for some food and stay dry. The rest of the day was grey and rainy. The summer is definitely over now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog