Thursday 15 July 2010

Daniil Kharms

My mother brought me some Russian books. I prefer to switch languages when I read fiction: a book in Russian, a book in English, a book in Dutch and start anew. Today I was reading Daniil Kharms in the train on my way home. I grew up with his stories for children. His stuff for adults is priceless too. Just a couple of pages were enough to make me forget the yesterday's accident and the busy day at work.

I found some translations online just to give you an idea:
"An encounter
On one occasion a man went off to work and on the way he met another man who, having bought a loaf of Polish bread, was on his way home.
And that's just about all there is to it."

«Один монах вошел в склеп к покойникам и крикнул: "Христос вoскресе!" А оно ему все хором: "Воистину воскресе!"»

Just go and get a book by Daniil Kharms. Really. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog